My Achi often says Paal kanji (Milk porridge) is a magical energy drink for woman during pregnancy!
Table of Contents
Paal kanji (Milk porridge) is adviced to be consumed after 7th month of pregnancy because this is the stage where your breasts begin to gear up for feeding your baby.
Best practice is to consume early morning before 2 hrs of having breakfast (For example: If you have paal kanji/milk porridge at 6 am, then have breakfast at 8 am). You can have paal kanji (Milk porridge) twice/thrice in a week till delivery and also after delivery as it helps in lactation.
Paal kanji (Milk porridge) Recipe: Youtube Video
Watch Paal Kanji recipe video from my Youtube Channel. Do not forget to subcribe!
If you are on slow net connection or don’t like watching videos, you can continue down to read step by step instructions with pics for Paal Kanji recipe.
Paal kanji (Milk porridge) Recipe: Pictorial
- Boiled rice (1 handful)
- Garlic ( 1 whole)
- Milk (1 cup)
- Water (1 cup)
- Dry ginger
- Fenugreek seeds (1 tsp)
- Palm Jaggery
1. In a pressure cooker add one handful of rinsed boiled rice and fenugreek seeds.
2. Add 1 glass milk.
3. Add 1 glass water.
4. Add 1 whole peeled garlic cloves.
5. On the other hand, crush dry ginger and saranaveru.
6. Put the crushed dry ginger and saranaveru in a white cloth and tie it.
7. Leave the white cloth also in the cooker.
8. Pressure cook for 5-6 whistles.
9. Once done take the white cloth, squeeze it and drink that milk first.
10. Now, mash the kanji.
11. Then add 1 cup of milk to the mashed kanji.
Paal Kanji with Jaggery (Optional)
In a separate bowl powder the jaggery, melt it and filter it well.
Now add the jaggery to the mashed kanji and enjoy drinking your paal kanji (Milk porridge)
If you want sweeter you can always add more jaggery.
Benefits of Paal Kanji (Milk porridge)
- Prevents high blood pressure.
- Helps to boost baby weight.
- Antimicrobial properties of garlic cant limit the growth of bacteria and help to keep the immune system healthy.
- Pregnant women tend to get vaginal infections and this helps to fight against the issue.
- Rich in iron content and prevents anaemia.
- Promotes healthy pregnancy.
- Helps to reduce nausea
- Helps in lactation.
If you find this post helpful, do share with mommies who are in need of this information. Thank you in advance.
What’re your thoughts on this simple paal kanji (milk porridge) recipe for pregnant woman? Let me know in the comment section below.